Monday, January 4, 2010

Goals for 2010...

I'm not really a fan of the word "resolution", so I'm going with "goal" instead. I've spent quite a bit of time (more than I'd like to admit to) in the last week reading other blogs and thinking about what I'm shooting for this year. And, now that I've been up for almost 30 hours with one heck of a cold, I think I'm ready to commit to a few things and get them out there. In no particular order...

1. Work less
I need to clarify that a little more. I spend a shocking amount of time working for absolutely free. With Job #1, there are between 2 and 4 hours every week that each of us work without being paid. (It might sound ridiculous, but I swear it's honest and makes sense for the job and where I work.) But, me being me, I don't seem to be content just putting in the time I'm supposed to. No. I like to really overachieve, without much thought being put into it, and I average 26 hours a week working unpaid. This has got to stop. No one else in the world would be okay with working that much for zero pay... now that I'm aware of it, it's ending. It's made quite a big difference in the last week alone.

2. Have more money coming in
Between both jobs I should theoretically be making a livable wage. In actuality, it's totally not true. Whether this means cutting back on Job #1, doing more for Job #2 or getting rid of it altogether, I don't know. What I do know is that I need to not make myself available at all hours for anyone who calls, be mindful of my daily schedule and consider my income/expenses each day. This sort of dovetails into...

3. Make myself a priority
I have some health issues that I generally ignore and this also holds true for my time. I spent a lot of last year working 6 or 7 days a week, and even on my "off" days I still worked from home. I'm going to have more than 1 day every week where I do absolutely no work whatsoever. I spend so much time and energy directing myself toward anything and anyone else. It's time I turn that geyser down a few notches and save something for myself.

4. Read more
If I'm reading that means I'm still and focused on one thing. Plus, I have a bajillion books on my shelves (not to mention in stores and libraries) that I really do want to read. This should help.

5. Not read more than one book at a time
Two if I'm nearing the end of one/it's a heavy, thick hardcover that doesn't travel easily. I normally read 7 to 15 at a time. This is going to be a serious challenge.

6. Pay attention
This one applies to all areas of my inner and outer life. I spend so much time unfocused and running on automatic. I'm certain I'd have a fuller, happier, just generally better life if I was aware of what was going on and paid attention!

Well, that's it for now. I know they probably sound kind of generic, but they're biggies for me. Here's hoping that this time next year I can check all of these off! Speaking of off, I'm going to try to doze off for a nap here, with a little "Antiques Roadshow" in the background. Be back later for my first review of the year!

No comments:

Post a Comment