Saturday, April 23, 2016

Dewey Day, Part 2

We're nearing the halfway point, so I thought it was time for another check-in. After the last time I was here I took a shower and dressed, and then took a walk with my audiobook (Murder on the Orient Express) while the sun was warm enough to counteract the cold breeze. After talking to my Mom and ordering lunch/dinner, I watched a few Parks & Rec episodes, ate, and randomly picked up a book, finishing it cover to cover! It's weird how little I've planned, and how much reading I'm getting done while still goofing off a bit. 

Mid-Event Survey

1.What are you reading right now? I'm getting ready to get back into "Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children".
2. How many books have you read so far? I've finished three and am partway through two others.
3. What book are you most looking forward to in the second half? I still haven't picked up any Kaoru Mori, but my big "Shakespeare: His Life and Times" book is starting to call my name.
4. Have you had many interruptions? How did you deal with those? Well, except for the phone call, the only interruptions have been of my own doing. I'm just rolling with it!
5. What surprises you most about the Readathon so far? How much I'm actually reading!

Midnight - hour 18

I've already had to break out the eyedrops and glasses, and I participated in the Diversity Selfie challenge for hour 17.
"Whitefly" is a Moroccan crime thriller, and "Kaoru Mori: Anything & Something" is a sort of short story manga collection. 

Sleepiness is getting stronger all the time. My new deal with myself is that I can sleep for a few hours when I finish "Miss Peregrine..." and at the rate I'm reading, that should be in a little over an hour. Here's hoping I can make it! Maybe a little snack would help? I'd make some tea, but I'm afraid I'd make too much noise or break something in the process. 

Finish

I ended up making it until after 3AM, which was kind of amazing. After I dropped my hardcover book on my face three times, I went to bed and promptly woke up, so I read for a bit before forcing myself to try and sleep. My alarm went off at 5:30, and I ignored it, opting to just stay there, all nice and cozy. 

End of Event Survey

1. Which hour was most daunting for you? Weirdly, it was the afternoon. After lunch, I went for a walk and then got sucked into TV for awhile.

2. Could you list a few high-interest books that you think could keep a Reader engaged for next time? The only one I read this time would be the William Shakespeare biography for kids. It's oversized, and there were a lot of envelopes with letters to open and read, mini books to flip through, a family tree to unfold - it was fun to have things to do!

3. Do you have any suggestions for how to improve the readathon next time? Nope, you guys did a GREAT job this time around, especially seeing how big this has gotten, and how easily it could have been awkward and ungainly. 

4. What do you think worked really well this time? I can't put my finger on it, but things seemed to be very well scheduled and they seemed to run like a well-oiled machine. Maybe that's just a weird perception I have, but you ladies seem to have figured out the best way to run this show. Kudos! 

5. How many books did you read? I finished 7, and listened to part of another one. I read 1,192 pages and listened to 45 minutes in about 9 hours. It seems like there should be more there for both, but that's still not bad!

6. What were the names of the books you read? I listened to "Murder on the Orient Express" by Agatha Christie, and read "Wayward, Volume 1: String Theory" by Jim Zub, "William Shakespeare: His Life and Times" by Kristen McDermitt, "I'm Over All That" by Shirley MacLaine, "Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children" by Ransom Riggs, "Dirty Rowdy Thing" by Christina Lauren, "Vivian Apple at the End of the World" by Katie Coyle, and "Kaoru Mori: Anything & Something" by Kaoru Mori.

7. Which book did you enjoy the most? I liked them all, but I think "Vivian Apple..." was the best. It's such fast reading, and the characters and storyline pulled me in.

8. Which did you enjoy the least? Eh, I'll say the Shirley MacLaine. I still liked it, but it was little essay-lettes, so it was easy to skim the parts I wasn't crazy about.

9. How likely are you to participate again, and in which role? I'll for sure be back, and I'll be a reader again. I keep saying I'll maybe cheer the next time, but I really prefer to focus on books and stopping in occasionally to cheer people. 


I missed my readathon buddy, Sherry Ann, but I know I'll see her in October. And this was the first time I used instagram, and it was a lot of fun! Loved seeing everyone and their updates, I'm excited to use it again. Plus, it was much easier to update on instagram versus coming here every time. I think it helped me to read in a more focused way, though it was easier to get lost looking at #readathon things. 

And now, as per usual, I'll spend the rest of the day taking naps and reading. Yay for busting out of my months-long book funk! See you all in October, if not before! :)

3 comments:

  1. Hi Laura! Looks like you're having a fab Readathon. I'm in Nashville with some family and having a great time, but I miss doing this and will definitely be back in October!

    I liked Miss Peregrine's, and it's funny you mentioned the Noddy books because we have British relatives and my girls (now ages 24 and 22) loved them, too. Good luck with the second half of the RAT. It's certainly ok to sleep - the important thing is just to have fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi buddy! I'm so glad to see you! Sounds like you're having fun with your family, I'm so happy you're having a great time!

    There aren't a lot of Americans who even know who Noddy is, let alone read about his adventures with Big Ears. :) What a small world. I'm edging towards sleep now, and I'm planning on setting an alarm so I can be up for the last few hours.

    Can't wait until October when we can readathon together!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Miss Laura! Looks like you had a smashing RAT. 1200 pages is mighty impressive (I'm talking like I've been in the south...oh wait)! Murder on the Orient Express is one of my favorite Christie's. I will be sad when I've finished my quest to read ALL of her books. One will certainly be in my stack for October. Is it too early to start planning? :)
    Thanks for the shout-out. I'll be keeping an eye on you to see what you're reading over the next few months. Hopefully, you got your reading Mojo back!

    ReplyDelete