Sunday, March 28, 2010

Quick Reviews...

Holy cow, you guys. I have only reviewed 5 books here on my blog, and in real life I've read 40 so far this year. To help catch up, I'll be doing some Quick Reviews every once in a while. I think I'll do them by 101010 Challenge category so I can keep track.

Since I've already reviewed the one sad little book in category #1 (Because I Said So - Books my Mom recommends. The book is "Heat Wave".), and the three books I have in category #2 (And You'll Never Guess What Happened Next - Series Books), I'll start my Quick Reviews with category #3, Miss Austen and Her Relations - All things Austen and Austen-related.

"Jane Bites Back" by Michael Thomas Ford
While the reviews for this book tend to be mixed, I enjoyed it. In the interest of full disclosure, this is the first Jane Austen revamp (for lack of a better word) that I've read, despite owning at least a dozen others. Therefore, I have nothing to compare it to.

It's a clever book, filled with undead famous authors (Bronte, Byron), lots of books, mystery, and a few laughs. Jane Bites Back is certainly an easy read, and while I was a little annoyed sometimes by the conveniences that just pop up and are never remotely explained (like why Lucy, her shop assistant, just totally accepts the fact that Jane is a vampire and goes straight to joking about it - wouldn't she be at least a little bit shocked or questioning?), they're seemingly there because the author couldn't think of a way to fit the necessary information in the right place for the story line. (Despite that last sentence, I have no real issue with how this book is written.)

If you're looking for a nice twist on the classic author/monster genre that's out there, this book will certainly fit the bill. I'm really looking forward to the next book in the series!

"Mr. Darcy, Vampyre" by Amanda George
In this book, we follow Elizabeth and Darcy on their continental honeymoon. But all is not as it should be. Why is Darcy acting so strange? Why hasn't he come to their marriage bed? And who are all of these supposedly close family friends who dress so old-fashioned?

I liked this book, though I was annoyed with how dense Elizabeth was. And I like the ending, but it just seemed SO out of place and quick and different from the rest of it that it's sticking with me. Did that bother anyone else? At any rate, it's a quick read and entertaining. I'm really digging Austen revamps (pardon the pun) lately.

"Letters from Pemberley" by Jane Dawkins
Really nice, epistolary book of letters from Elizabeth to Jane in the first year of their marriage. Cute references to other Austen books abound, and it seems like it could be written by the lady herself. I'm trying to save the next book for the read-a-thon, but I don't know... it was just so enjoyable, I might not be able to wait another 2 weeks!

Have any of you read any of these books? What did you think of them?

No comments:

Post a Comment