Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Review: Evans Above

"Evans Above"
-Rhys Bowen, 1998
ISBN: 0425166422
From: My shelves
Rating: 3 1/2 of 5 stars

From Amazon: Constable Evan Evans expected idyllic Llanfair to be a calm oasis far away from the violent crime of the big city. That was, until a string of murders erupts in the town, putting every "charming eccentric" under suspicion...

Thoughts: I stumbled upon the first book in her "Royal" series at the library last year, really liked it, and wanted to give this series a shot. Set in Wales, it's full of mystery and gentle humor. Evan Evans is a good, congenial character, and a reliable narrator. The other characters in the village are mostly that - characters - with an amusing sub-plot dealing with a missing apple pie and a neighbor jealous of anothers' prize-winning veggie patch.

As with most mysteries, some things are predictable and some are not. Admittedly, I might have missed some hints about the big twist at the end (having read most of this in the wee hours of the morning while dealing with this heck of a cold) but it was kind of shocking. I also didn't remember the names of some of the minor character, but I'm thinking that's the cold talking as well.

All in all, I enjoyed it and am looking forward to the next book in the series. Unlike some other series of books I've read before, I don't feel the need to run out and buy them so I can read them all right away. But if I'm ever in the mood for a book that doesn't require huge amounts of concentration or for something that's gentle, interesting, and a fairly quick read, I'll happily come back to Evan Evans and the town of Llanfair, Wales.

No comments:

Post a Comment