Sunday, October 6, 2013

Gearing up for this weekend

Hello, Lads & Lasses! 

Once again, it's just about time for another Dewey's 24-hour read-a-thon, and I'm so happy that I will have off for the whole weekend so I can read to my hearts' content and sleep as much as I want to. 

This past week I took a little time-out for myself, and went Up North with a good friend for a few days. We stayed at her in-law's cottage (hooray for free sleeping!), went ATVing for the first time ever (and took about a hundred photos and had too much fun), took a trip into Minocqua for some shopping, and basically just laid around and read and watched TV. It was a little difficult to get used to having "nothing" to do for more than a day, but as soon as it was time to start getting ready to go, I was totally relaxed and didn't want to leave. Always happens, right? 

The colors were just beautiful, and it smelled so fresh and campfire-y, I wish there was some way to bottle it up. Except for the first night when we could see so many stars and part of the Milky Way, it rained every night. Though on the second night it took a break and we went out to try and see if we could spot the Northern Lights. No such luck, but you could tell that if it wasn't cloudy we could've seen them. As it was, we could just see parts get a little lighter and then fade away again. Oh well - that just means that we'll have to go back and do it next year!





I managed to get 7 books read this week, so I feel like that's a little warm-up for what will hopefully be a higher count this coming weekend. The good news is that I already have a giant stack of books checked out from my library, so I'm crossing my fingers that I won't bring any more home between now and then. Photos of my book piles are forthcoming (one of my favorite parts of the pre 'thon events is checking out everyone else's books they want to read), and I'm already working on a food and snack list for the weekend too. 

Wish I didn't have to work this week (or any week, really), but it'll be nice to get back into the swing of things for a while. 

3 comments:

  1. Yay, RAT pall! I didn't see you on the sign-up page, so I'm happy to see you're planning on it. I've got a crazy busy week, but come hell or high-water I will be ready come 6:00 a.m. Saturday morning. (If you haven't linked to the RAT home page yet, you should so that you get cheerleaders...)

    What absolutely gorgeous photos! Are you also a photographer?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just noticed on your Library Thing display that you read Hotel Pastis. I love Peter Mayle - he's almost up there with Bill Bryson for me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I totally forgot about the sign-up page, and I'm getting mine set up now to I can link to it and get some cheerleaders up in here. :) Just found out that I have a breakfast/exercise meeting at 9AM on Sunday, 2 hours after I'm (hopefully) finishing this 'thon, and I don't know if I'll be able to make it or not. Oh well - this is a priority!

    Thanks for the compliment - nope, no photographer here, but I'd love to take a class or two and figure out what I'm doing some day. I'm just an aspiring photographer!

    YAAAAAY for Peter Mayle love! Hotel Pastis is still unread for me, but I only have 4 or 5 of his books left that are still "new" to me, so I'm spacing them out in time. But I do love him, and he's in the same spot for me too - almost up there with Bill Bryson! Makes me so happy to find someone else who loves his stuff. Of course it's you! :)

    ReplyDelete