Saturday, April 21, 2012

Reading Through Translation Mini-Challenge

Hosted by Reading Through Life for Hour 2 of the RAT.

If you could read any book that's been translated into English in its ORIGINAL language, what would it be?


This is a toughie, but I'm going to go with "The Count of Monte Cristo" by Andre Dumas, in French. I know it's an excellent book no matter what language it's read in, but it'd be great to read the original. (Plus, if I could read French, I could borrow my Frenchie friends books!)


This isn't the original cover, but it is a 1909 copy, so at least it's old.


Here's the title page from an 1850 version, and below, the first sentence in French.

Dans cette maison de la rue de Helder, ou Albert de Morcerf avait donne rendez-vous, a Rome, au comte de Monte-Cristo, tout se preparait dans lat matinee due 21 mai pour faire honneur a la parole du jeune homme.





No comments:

Post a Comment